Sunday, June 12, 2011

Thoughts

Tonight we had our Farewell Fireside, and I absolutely loved every minute of those two and a half hours. I honestly wish I could have written down every single word that was said! Every person was given the opportunity to take a few minutes to say a favorite memory or London experience they’ve had on the study abroad. I was so overwhelmed by the precious memories and thoughts that came to mind that as I listened to my peers and reflected on my time here. Here are just a few of those thoughts – forgive me for being a little scatterbrained.

First, one of my favorite things about this London experience is how by the end I really felt like a Londoner! That’s something you don’t get during a week’s vacation. I was remembering how terrified I was when I got off the plane, not knowing how exactly I was going to make it to the Center. Now, I hardly even have to consult the Tube map to get around. In fact, I know the system so well that when I’m waiting for a train to pull up I know I need to walk towards the back of the train, so that when I get off at Queensway I’ll be as close to the exit as possible. It’s so satisfying to have people stop me and ask me for directions – and that a lot of the times I can give them!

On the other hand, as well as I know my way around London there is always, always, always something new to discover! Yesterday, I was walking out of the Queensway station – something I do every single day - and I saw this frozen yogurt store that I had never noticed before! This is just a silly example, because there have been so many times I’ve come out of a station to an entirely new neighborhood full of many things to discover. I think I could be here for a lifetime and still find things I’d never seen before.

On a few occasions, as I’ve been sitting on a train or wandering down a street, I’ve looked around at all of the faces surrounding me and thought about how many people there are in the world! Every person has their own story – memories, family members, heartaches. And I realize that all these people are more than just faces, they all have value and something to offer. I want to try and be more aware of this throughout my life – to be loving and kind to everyone around me, because Heavenly Father is aware of them and loves them just as much as he loves me!

While most of our experiences have been in the city, we’ve also had some powerful experiences in nature, and truly seen some beautiful places. Hillary Jones once asked me, “Do you think green is God’s favorite color?” :)

As I sat in the fireside, listening to all of the powerful and insightful thoughts from my classmates, I was desperately trying to remember every thing that was said. It makes me sad that soon London will seem like a dream, and inevitably memories will fade. One thing that I will never forget, though, is the friendships I’ve been able to make while I’ve been here! I couldn’t have been here with a better group of people. I love and respect them all so much; I’ve learned a lot! I’m so excited to run into them on campus and remember all the good times we shared in London. These friendships are the best souvenirs. :)

I also feel so lucky to have had the Crowe’s and the Miller’s as our directors. I’ve learned a lot from them! Not only in their actual classes, but also through their examples. They’re all such kind, happy, humble, Christlike people. I have no doubt that they love and care about every person here. They were always so patient and I didn’t them upset or stressed once. And they were so fun to be around! There were many times I just sat and talked with the Crowe’s. I already told Professor Crowe I’m going to come visit him at BYU next fall. (It’s a good thing I liked them so much – otherwise it might be awkward that my professors have seen me with no makeup, right after I get home from a run, and dead asleep with my mouth open on the bus.)

I also feel very, very lucky to have studied and lived in the London Center. BYU only owns two buildings, London and Jerusalem, and all the other study abroads live with families throughout the city. I’m so glad that we had the center for two reasons: first, because it was awesome to be able to go to class in my pajamas and second, because it allowed me to get so close to everyone. I’m coming home with 40 new friends! I would have missed out on that if I only saw everyone a few times a week during class.

Finally, I have to say how grateful I am to have been here with Alison Jones and Hillary Jones. They were both acquaintances before the trip, and when we figured out we were all going to London I knew we were going to be good friends. But I never could have imagined how much I would grow to love these two girls! It feels like I’ve known them for years, not just a few weeks. They’ve become two of my best friends, and I know they will be for many years to come! Thanks, you two, for making this London trip even more special!

I’ve just totally overwhelmed by what a lucky girl I am! The experiences I’ve had these past seven weeks have truly been once in a lifetime. It’s changed the way I look at the world and I know I’m a better person because of it! I was taken completely out of my comfort zone, but I was somehow able to figure it all out – it’s satisfying to know that I can take care of myself! I also feel like this gave me a new perspective on life and where I fit into the world. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mom and Dad for making this trip possible and for always encouraging me to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment